4.12.2010

Black Bean Salad

Tonight we finished up our big head of green leaf lettuce from last week's Farm Share arrival.  We threw together some different ingredients and in under 20 minutes had yet another great salad.  The next couple "recipes" aren't technically recipes, I suppose--I don't use measuring spoons when I throw these dishes together--but regardless they turn out great every time!  I don't have a picture of the meal we enjoyed, but we threw black beans, a little bit of salsa, and guacamole on top of a large bed of lettuce.  We served with lightly grilled tortillas...delicious!


Black Beans

Ingredients
1 can black beans
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
~1/2 to 1 tbs. cumin
~1 tsp. cayenne pepper
~1 tsp. hot red pepper, chopped
1/2 lime, squeezed for juice

Preparation
Stir all ingredients together over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.


Guacamole

Ingredients
2 avocados, peeled and chopped
1 tomato, diced
1/2 lemon, squeezed for juice
~ 1 to 1 1/2 tbs. cumin
~ 1 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 red onion, diced (optional)  I tend not to use red onion because raw onions make my stomach hurt, and I personally think the taste of the avocado comes out better with no onion.

Preparation
Put all ingredients in bowl, and using kitchen tool (I use a whisk) mash the avocado so there are chunks still in tact but the ingredients are all mixed.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment