8.12.2010

Chicken Salads

Summertime!  And really, you crave particular things in the summer that aren't the same at other times of the year.  Like watermelon, mojitos, berries, and for me--chicken salad.

I was really craving chicken salad this week, so after boiling a whole chicken and pulling the meat off the bone myself (side note: this was a big step for me.  I'm generally not a chicken fan, so getting my hands deep in that mess was an indication of how dedicated I was to satiating my craving) I made two different kinds: (1) Chicken-Walnut Salad with Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives and (2) Curried Chicken Salad.  The former used celery and parsley from our Farm Share. 


Chicken-Walnut Salad with Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives
Bon Appétit

Ingredients
4 deli-roasted chicken breast halves, skinned, boned, meat diced (or, 1/2 chicken)
1 c. sliced celery with leaves
1/2 c. walnuts, toasted, chopped
4 tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
12 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 c. pitted Kalamata olives, halved
3 tbs. chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
Mix all ingredients together in bowl and serve over a bed of (Farm Share) lettuce.


Curried Chicken Salad
(Modified from Gourmet)

Ingredients
1 tbs. minced peeled ginger
1 tbs. curry powder, plus more to taste
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 c. plain yogurt
2 tbs cilantro
1/2 chicken
1 c. red grapes, halved
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted

Preparation
Mix all ingredients together in bowl and serve over a bed of (Farm Share) lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment